Monday, October 16, 2006

Brake lines

(5 hours this weekend, 35 hours total)

Hard to get a lot of time for the car with a new baby. But I did put in some work on my brake lines this weekend.

I mounted the brackets that hold the flexible lines on the rear end, then fabricated the rear end hard lines. I should get a picture of this up, because I think it looks pretty cool. The only thing that I don't like is that they don't match. On the right side I have a loop in the line to provide for some flexibility in the line. But bending the loop was a lot of trouble, and it made it tough to put the wrench on the flare nut. So on the left side I went with an S bend.

I also mounted the master cylinder and completed the rear brake circuit. I don't know how Factory Five thinks you're going to get the brakes connected with the lines they provide. They're just too short! So now I have a 1-foot extension on the rear brake line, which is a different color, and the union is visible. Maybe I'll go back and do it again. But only if it leaks.

Finally, I mounted the small brackets that hold the flexible lines from the front brakes. But now I think I did it wrong, and I'll either need to remount them or cut the aluminum panel in the wheel well. But with the way they're supposed to be mounted I think the left side flexible line just isn't going to be long enough. I guess I need to locate the panel and figure out what to do next.

No comments: