Thursday, August 31, 2006


(2 hours the last two days, 13.5 hours total)

I got my wheels from Rev Wheel in Riverside. I'm using the "340 Cobra" which is a rough Halibrand replica. The wheels were $150 each for 17" x 9" in chrome, including the fake spinners with snakes. I think they look pretty good.

Next up on the purchase list is tires. I've heard good things about the Potenza RE050As, so I'm thinking I'll go with those. Other major purchases still to come are the iSquared electrical system and an AC unit from North Racecars.

Latest work has proceeded smoothly. I opened up my rear end and pulled out the axles. Dropped one of the c-clips down into the depths, but I think I can get it out when I change the oil. My new ball joint separator tool works wonders, so my spindle adapters are painted and reinstalled, and properly aligned this time.

Unfortunately, I realized I need the spindle-to-strut bolts from the Mustang. My spring compressors won't go on the Mustang springs, so I have to figure out another way to protect myself from explosive decompression when I remove the strut. I'm still thinking on this one.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

I painted my rear end blue!

(30 min today, 11.5 hours total)

I painted my rear end blue. Specifically, "Old Ford Blue". I'm not counting this time toward the build. I'm counting it as donor prep. Because I spent way, way too long cleaning this thing for the paint. It was rusty, greasy, and covered with that dense black dust that I assume is tire dust.

I also attached the competition brackets to the rear end and did some test fitting of the various parts. I think the rear end will come together quickly, but I'm not putting it in until I change out the axles.

Speaking of which, I'm picking those up from L.A. this weekend. I'm also going to swing by Rev Wheel in Riverside and get some of their Halibrand replicas (340 Cobra). 17" x 9" in chrome, spinners with snakes included. For just $150 a wheel.

Friday, August 18, 2006

More front end

(2.5 hours yesterday and today, 11 hours total)

I mounted the lower control arms. At first, they didn't appear to fit correctly. I posted a question on and got a very quick answer, saying that yes, I was doing it correctly. I just needed to install a couple of "shims" (i.e., washers).

I then put in the coil-overs. This time, when they didn't really fit with the provided spacers, I didn't miss a beat. I just ground down the spacers a little bit and made them fit.

Not much more to do at the front end until I get the spindles next week.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Front upper control arms

(30 min yesterday, 8.5 hours total)

I put on the front upper control arms. These are very cool adjustable arms that FFR supplies. Very simple job, consisting of putting the ball joints into the control arms, attaching a grease fitting, and then bolting the control arm to the frame.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Waiting for brakes

(1 hour yesterday, 8 hours total)
Didn't get much done on the car this weekend. I don't want to put the rear end in until I replace the axles, so that needs to wait for the brake kit. And there's not a lot I can do at the front end until I get the SN95 spindles, also in the brake kit.

So I spent some time sorting through some of the back-ordered parts that I have received, trying to match them into the boxes they belong to. I also prepped my e-brake handle for the rear disc brakes by removing the auto-adjuster, and pulled the brake pedal out to send it out for shortening.

In other automotive news, I replaced the expansion valve and receiver/dryer in the minivan. That was pretty easy once I figured out that I needed to remove the front bumper to access the refrigerant lines on top of the r/d. The shop wanted almost $500 for this job, including about $75 each for the valve and r/d. Here's my cost breakdown:

Expansion valve: $20.
Receiver/dryer: $15.
O-ring set: $5.
Vacuum pump (venturi type): $25.
Assorted fittings/valves to hook up vacuum pump: $15
Evacuate system (Tunex): $20.
New refrigerant: $20.

That's $120 including tooling. Total time was maybe 3 hours. And now I have a vacuum pump, some assorted fittings, and a nice ball valve, too.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Cobra brakes

I got a good deal on a used Cobra brake kit. Complete system, including 13" front rotors, rear disc brakes, master cylinder, SN95 spindles, axle shafts. Essentially what you would get with the Ford Racing M-2300-K kit, which currently goes for over $2000. I paid a bit more than I was expecting to spend to upgrade to 5-lug, but I'm very happy to upgrade to 4-wheel disc brakes, and the 13" front rotors should be good on the track.

The only problem right now is the brakes are in L.A. and I'm here in Utah.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fuel lines in

(3 hours today, 7 hours total)
I put in the fuel lines. Here are the lines running under the car. The frame is on its side, to make things a bit easier. The aluminum piece is the passenger side floor, just laid in place to indicate where the firewall will be.

Detail on the riveted clips that hold the fuel lines in place:

Here's the front of the frame, on its side. This frame is actually light enough for me to tip it up on its side by hand, unassisted.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Construction begins

(4 hours today, 4 hours total)
I finally started building the coupe. Today I put in the rear brake line and attached the fuel filter bracket.

Here's the rear brake line bracket, installed on the frame:
And here is the fuel filter bracket: